’ve been blessed with the honor and opportunity to have strong women guiding me through my journey in life. These women, who I consider my board of directors (particularly my mother, who is currently 90 years old), have laid the foundation by instilling in me the confidence and spirit of perseverance needed to stay focused on the goal(s) I’ve set for myself and not being distracted by the naysayers.
Name: Colleen McMullen
Title: Executive Director, Community and Inclusion
Company: Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business
Industry: Higher Education
Years in this Industry: 30
1.What role has the support of other women played in your success?
I’ve been blessed with the honor and opportunity to have strong women guiding me through my journey in life. These women, who I consider my board of directors (particularly my mother, who is currently 90 years old), have laid the foundation by instilling in me the confidence and spirit of perseverance needed to stay focused on the goal(s) I’ve set for myself, and not being distracted by the naysayers.
2. What does receiving this award mean to you?
I am humbled and honored to be recognized as one of the Onyx Woman Leadership Award recipients. I appreciate this honor because it acknowledges the dedication each of the award recipients has for supporting, encouraging, and inspiring other women in our professional and personal lives. It is a great honor to be a part of such a distinguished cohort of honorees.
3. What advice would you give to other women who want to go into your field?
- Establish a strong network of professional colleagues both in your particular field or functional area, as well as network contacts from other areas who are able to provide you with insight and perspective from another point of view.
- Stay on top of the research and be a life-long learner of what’s happening in higher education as it relates to both internal and external influencers impacting students, faculty, staff and the operations of the institution.
- Invest in your own professional development by identifying and participating in opportunities that allow you to gain insight on your desired career path and what core competencies are needed to level up.
5. What would you tell other women about overcoming obstacles?
Obstacles are a critical part of the journey to success. The ‘bumps’ we experience in the road of life allow us to pause, reflect, and revise our path forward. This process builds our character and level of resilience for future goals…larger goals.
6. How have you evolved over the years?
Over the years, particularly through my 40’s and into my 50’s, I’ve recognized the importance of self-care as it relates to my personal well-being and being intentional about taking time to nurture myself as it is not selfish, but a necessity.
On May 4, 2019, we will be honoring Colleen along with 18 other women who have been selected for their contributions to other women. Here is the link to join us:https://onyxwoman.com/vip-onyx-woman-leadership-award/
Photo: Copyright 2015 ClydeAllen Photography