This is the year that you have decided to organize an area of your home or office. Some of you are very ambitious and have decided this year to tackle the entire house, from the attic to the basement, or do an overhaul of your office. Whatever area you have decided to organize, I want to give you the push you need to get started and not procrastinate, leaving the project undone.
I thought it would be helpful if I share with you how I tackle projects with clients. I use these same strategies when I decide to organize an area of my home. These tips help me stay focused, not become overwhelmed and finish the project so my space is organized and I believe they will do the same for you.
Janet’s steps to getting organized:
- Select a room or area (bedroom, basement, or home-office) to get started.
- Plan how space will be organized. Do you need additional storage or can you use existing storage or shelving?
- Chose a project in the space that can be completed in a few hours (the closet, the filing cabinet, the northeast corner of the basement).
- Separate the clutter into five piles according to what you want to do with the items. Place in bags or boxes and label according to the following categories:
- Stay in the space you are organizing
- Store in other areas of the home
- Once you have the items that will remain in the space-separated from those that will not, now it is time to organize. The goal is to make items accessible for you and your family so that you can find items the first time you look for them.
- Once the area is organized schedule time regularly to maintain order.
My final suggestion for you is to take your time and move at your own pace. Remember to do a little at a time and don’t let the piles of clutter overwhelm you. Stay on track and motivated by checking off each completed task and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Janet M. Taylor is a professional organizer, speaker, and author with over 20 years of experience helping people get organized. If you are ready to get your life totally organized visit her website at www.janetmtaylor.com